My seamstress has promised the bedding and draperies this week, so I figured it was high time I gave you a sneak peek of those fabrics.
Over a year ago I bought some Oscar de la Renta fabric. I was head-over-heels in love with it... my husband on the other hand thought it was a little too feminine for our Master Bedroom. I value his opinion and definitely didn't want him feeling like a sissy in the bedroom!
I was not parting with the fabric though. I'd use it somewhere. When I had my breakdown about the first color I painted the nursery and suddenly disliked the fabric I had already bought I went to my "stash". I have a stash of fabrics. Some people like shoes, I like fabrics. When I saw that Oscar de la Renta squeezed in the back of a bin of fabric bolts I decided perhaps it was just what I needed for the nursery.
I had been using a cutting of it as a bookmark on the last few books I have read. I adore the pattern. It's unlike anything I have seen before. So... it was decided. It was the fabric I would use for the nursery... it was going to set the tone for everything else.
I took a morning away from work (not really... I was in the office) and looked through fabric books. I was tired of putting myself on the back burner for everything else. So I blocked out 2 hours for me. And I started searching. I decided the Oscar de la Renta would be the crib skirt fabric and a bolster lumbar pillow for the rocking chair. I needed a coordinate fabric. I found a good one. A coraly-pink stripe that matched the coral/pink in the Oscar de la Renta fabric perfectly. I checked to make sure it wasn't discontinued - it wasn't! Then I started looking for a solid ivory for the draperies... I decided to use the coral stripe on the bias (diagonal) as a band down the leading edges (where you pull the draperies together to close) of the drapery panels. Much like these that I have always loved... sans the band at the bottom.
Now turning a fabric on the bias it suddenly stretches... this worried me. So I called seamstress to check and see if I'd need additional yardage - just in case. She gave me her blessing that she would make it happen for me (even though it would indeed stretch and be more difficult to sew), and told me how much excess I would need.
The coral/pink bias stripe will also be the boxing and piping on the bumper pads, and the ties that secure the bumpers to the crib (with the body (face) of the bumpers in a solid ivory).
So I pinned all my fabrics up to a bulletin board and took a step back to assess. BTW, these didn't photograph that well... the stripe is coral/pink, looks a little orange below... it is not.
I pinned the paint color up, searched for a tiny polka dot crib sheet and found one (actually my friend Annmarie might have found this one for me... don't you know a mother of 4 would know where to find a polka-dot crib sheet?), I had a little swatch of the gold paint that the crib would be, added the crib skirt and stripe fabric, and the graphic little pattern was for the Ikea chair cushions that I was going to recover. I might still use it... just not sure where yet.
Only snag I ran into... that polka dot sheet was discontinued. Story of my life. I knew things were going too smoothly. I came in one morning to an email from a blog reader who said 'hey, that crib sheet you posted on your blog, I have the set and am not using it anymore if you are interested in it let me know?' Well, as a matter of fact I was interested... I just needed the crib sheet and Jennifer agreed she didn't mind splitting the set up. It was in my hands a few days later... and I think it's perfect. Thanks Jennifer!
This weekend I put the sheet on the bed and tucked a little swatch of the Oscar de la Renta under the mattress... just so I could assess the scene. I'm trying to be patient... but I will be honest, I am getting antsy.
The whole "nesting" thing might have been kicked into high-gear this weekend. I'm getting rid of everything. I started in the pantry, then went through the downstairs like a tornado, I was on a total rampage.
Friday night Chance worked on the chandelier until late in the evening. He loves an excuse to use his welder. Our house has a gable roof, and the nursery is on the short side of that gable, making the ceiling height only 8'-0". Not a problem when you are 5'-2" tall, but for Chance - who is 6'-2", he barely fit under the chandelier... so he cut it down and removed some links... he used the left over crib paint to paint the canopy (the chandelier didn't come with one).
And he can walk under it without hitting his head, which is great. I need to order some silicone dipped light bulbs for it... but it's up and it works.
The art for over the crib deserves a chapter all its own. I promise, that is coming.
I couldn't resist showing you what our blogging friend Erin brought all the way from Italy for the baby when she visited a few weeks ago. Actually, the 2 books at the bottom of the image were for the baby, but these beautiful watercolor postcards she really intended for moi, the baby's momma. They are too beautiful to write on and send away, so I plan to frame them for the little girl's bathroom...
I feel compelled to mention... I haven't given this room 1/2 the effort I give my clients. I just want to make it clear that I don't sit around all day working on this nursery. I wish. But, no. I have been working super-extra long hours so that when the biggest element to this nursery (the baby!) arrives I will be able to take some time off to enjoy her. Most of the nursery progress happens on the weekends... which is okay. It's work, but it's more rewarding than the Monday - Friday type.
I am praying it comes together well. And if you don't like my nursery, feel free to follow the "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" rule, because I can cry at the drop of a hat these days and would rather not.